Friday, May 8, 2015

Focus beyond the storms

The following is something I posted in my Bible Study group.  Keep in mind, I am much better at talking than writing, but I just really wanted to post this here too.


Good Morning!  I don’t know about you, but I have spent WAY too much time in front of a weather reporting source these past few days. Right now, it is May in Oklahoma and this week we have had storms with the forecast of more strong storms and tornados.  I keep telling myself that I am not worried and that God is in control; I think I believe it, and I don’t feel anxious so it must be so.  I am beginning to question where my focus is though.   As I look back at where my time has gone the past few days I realize that much of my time, that I usually spend in Bible study prep or prayer time, I have been glued to the media seeking out information on the upcoming weather.  Anyone there with me?


All this brought me back to thinking about how the weather has really taken my focus off of Jesus these past couple of days without me realizing it. 
Matthew 6:31-34
“Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or “What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  BUT seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”


Jesus begins by saying to NOT do something (be anxious).  Then he reminds us that God is very aware of our needs. The Greek word used here for “anxious” has the sense of being troubled by cares and concerns.  It also can mean to “take care for, or look out for (a thing).”  Then he tells us TO do something (seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness).  The word “seek” means to “seek in order to find.” I am definitely NOT a Greek or Bible Scholar, but this still made an impact on me.
What I see here is that Jesus is instructing us to stop focusing our thoughts on what is around us.  Looking out for things that are around us is keeping us from seeing God’s will, heart, and timing.  He is telling us to seek after the kingdom of heaven like we intend on finding it!  When we are anxious, we are focused on our own efforts to shape our present and future and we are focused on the temporary.  But, when we are actively seeking God’s kingdom, we are consumed by in the assurance of God loving us and being true to His promise for a future and a hope!
Then there are times, where we really don’t feel anxious, and yet, our time and energy goes into activities other than seeking God (like checking the weather like it is going to change in 2 minutes).  We have such a limited amount of time to solely focus on God through Bible and prayer time each day.  So why is there so much temptation to busy ourselves with “looking out for” things that are temporary?  I believe it is because it gives us a sense of control, and we like that! Our enemy, who is the ruler of this world, wants to distract us from that concentrated time with God so that when we are faced with the uncertainties in our lives, our focus on God gets a little blurry around the edges and it is hard to see the Truth.  This passage reminds us that we are no longer of this world (Gentiles).  We may not know the specifics of our future, but we know that God is “all in” when it comes to us.  He loves us, He knows our needs, He is glorified through us, and when we maintain that focus, we are His light to this world.  We are conditioned by this world to “keep going,” “keep thinking on,” but God’s Word tells us simply to “keep seeking.”


I am not telling you to stop preparing for the storms (figurative and literal), in fact, we are told in 1st Peter to be ready to defend our faith.  I am simply saying to prepare, and then capture every thought or concern that is temporary or will cause you to dwell on the uncertain, and compare it to God’s Word and nature.  Practically speaking, keep your Bible open on the table, if you don’t have a passage to read, just read Matthew 6, it is super good! If you get bored with it, back up to chapter 5 or ahead to chapter 7.  Seek God with intent to find him in your prayers throughout the day.  Go to him with confidence of His promises to be found by you when you seek him whole-heartedly (Jeremiah 29:13-14), and to be given wisdom when you ask believing He will grant it (James 1:5).  Remember, no matter what, You.Are.Valuable.To.God.


Keep Seeking.

No comments:

Post a Comment